Thursday 23 February 2012

Mac & Cheese (gluten and lactose free)

GF/LF Mac & Cheese

Okay, I will admit that this pic is from my pre-gluten-free days. Mac & Cheese is one dish that makes me wonder if going gluten-free is really what I want. I don't/didn't eat a lot of pasta, but this is one dish that is ultimate comfort food for me.

For me, making the switch to a gluten-free diet was easy. I don’t eat a lot of bakery items, and given the amount I do it’s not as much of a shock to the grocery bill to buy the GF options out there. I like to cook from scratch so really bullion and broths were my biggest transition, or so I thought.
I now make my Mac & Cheese both gluten and lactose free. It still tastes great but its not the same as before the GF transition. It’s all in my head, I know. I will never be able to make it taste exactly like the kind I am not allowed to eat anymore.
For those that are still searching for a recipe, here is mine:
¾ cup brown rice pasta
1/3 cup lactose-free sour cream
1/3 cup lactose-free milk
1 cup lactose-free cheese blend
salt and pepper
dash of nutmeg
1/8 tsp mustard powder
Cook the pasta al dente, according to package instructions. Drain thoroughly. Aim for dry noodles.
While the noodles are cooking mix the remaining ingredients in a 6” casserole dish, reserve a small amount of the cheese for the top. (I find that it works best if you slowly add the milk to the sour cream and stir as you go- otherwise you end up with lumps that wont mix.) Adjust the salt and pepper. Lactose free products are often sweeter so I find that I have had to increase the seasonings a bit to compensate. Also, choose a sharper ‘melting’ cheese like cheddar or Parmesan over a ‘stringing’ cheese like mozzarella for better flavor.
I found my lactose-free sour cream at Real Canadian Superstore for those who haven't stumbled across a source yet. They also have the best selection of LF cheese that I have found.
Add the drained noodles to the cheese and  milk mix. Gently fold together until the cheese is fairly evenly mixed with the noodles. Top with cheese if you saved some. Bake at 350F or 375F for 20 to 30 minutes.
The noodles are cooked already, so you can pull it out once the sauce is bubbling all around the edges or you can leave it until the top is starting to brown. Sadly, the top doesn’t brown as well with the lactose free milk and sour cream. If you are wanting presentation, you can sprinkle the top with some cayene pepper just before sticking it in the oven.
For those not restricted by lactose intolerance, ENJOY!!!! If you are like me, then maybe just enjoy! This is the best home-made Mac & Cheese recipe I have ever tried. If you have a better one, I'd love to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment