Tuesday 7 August 2012

Gluten Intolerance and the Intolerable Headache!

I am about 7 months gluten-free at the point of writing this. I actually never thought this milestone would come. When I started out, the 6-month mark seemed forever into the future. Not because I doubted my ability, but because in terms of meals- that's at least 180 breakfasts, 180 lunches, 180 dinners, and even more snacks that have to happen before you get there.

When I started on this journey, I read all the comments and information about the process taking half a year just get the 'aftershocks' of gluten out of your system. All along the way there have been milestones. Positive things that told me I was on the right path.

  • Two weeks to get my stomach to stop acting out with everything.
  • Two months to get over the insane exhaustion and need for extra sleep.
  • Three months to get from 4/10 days to start having regular 6 or 7/10 days.
  • Four months for my metabolism to restart.
  • Six months for the inflammation in my eyes to go away.

Not joking about that one. About a month ago I started experiencing daily headaches and noticeable eye strain when at my computer. Wearing my glasses while at my desk on the computer gave me migraine like head pain and mild nausea. I couldn't read books with my glasses on anymore. So I made an eye appointment to see if that was the problem.

Headaches have been a part of my existence for the past 18 months or so. It can take me a while to identify the cause. Eventually I do, and then I make a change which gives me a temporary reprieve. Then something else makes itself known. A year ago, the headache after eating was actually the trigger for me even considering food as my enemy.

Back to the eye appointment - I have to admit to total shock at having my Eye Doc tell me that my prescription is far too strong and that is why I am experiencing nearly debilitating pain, daily. My left eye is a little better, but my right eye is a whole different story! My right eye went from -1.75 to -1.00 suddenly. That's a cut by nearly half the prescription for that lens.

I have worn glasses since I was 15. I have had my prescription change once in 15 years; it got marginally stronger. So you can imagine my shock when the doc tells me that my eyes are getting better. It's rare, but apparently possible. Honestly, the only thing I can see is a correlation between inflammation in my eyes and diet changes. Gluten causes inflammation in the gut and beyond. Inflammation is the cause of like 90% of gut cancers and diseases. Undiagnosed gluten intolerance can cause auto-immune and other illnesses. Is it possible that my gluten intolerance caused my vision problems to start with? The clinical depression started in middle school, glasses followed a year or two later. Retrospect is a powerful thing.

Glasses are my accessory of choice. I own several pairs. I change them to match my outfits or mood. I express myself through them. I don't wear much jewelry, and I wear make-up only infrequently. I love my glasses!

I switched over 2 pair to the new prescription, but I haven't decided about the rest. I am a little scared that my vision will continue to improve with time and the money spent will be wasted.

I have yet to find another story like mine online, but I will keep looking! Someone else has to have had this experience with their vision. Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment