Sunday 22 April 2012

Banana Bread

Banana Bread
Even my gluten-filled family likes this recipe and asked me to bake more!

1/2 cup sorghum
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1 egg and one yolk, at room temperature
1 cup mashed banana
2/3 cup white sugar
6 Tbsp vegetable oil (or avocado)


Preheat your oven to 350F. Lightly grease a loaf pan.

Combine the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, banana, sugar and oil. Add to the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. (Fold in 1/4 cup nuts at this stage. I personally, never add them.)

Pour into the greased pan and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Set on a wire rack immediately and let cool out of the pan.

This loaf will slice better if cooled, wrapped and allowed to sit overnight, but I can never wait that long.

Alternately, you can use brown sugar instead of white sugar to get a darker, more dense loaf. Both taste terrific!

Note: My recipe is based on a 1 cup measurement of bananas because my freezer containers fit that amount. The egg is pared down to match that. You could also use 6 Tbsp of liquid egg, round up to 2 small eggs or one extra large egg. I have a bread recipe that calls for 1 egg and one egg white which leaves me with an extra yolk that I save for this recipe. There is no scientific reason, so feel free to play with your own version!

No comments:

Post a Comment